Saturday, December 3, 2016

Blessed to be Stressed

I am about to embark on the most stressful week to a college freshman: finals week. As I was setting up a plan of attack my mood shifted from stressed to incredibly blessed.

A year ago I was in a very different position in life. I was still in the residential facility I was staying at and there were so many unknowns about my future.

My high school career was....unusual to say the least. Most of my schooling was done on a Home Study program in between doctors appointments and hospital stays. For a very long time I did not consider college to be an option for me. It just didn't seem possible.

So now when I take a look back, I feel so blessed to be stressing over finals, because it is a miracle to be in this place.

Over the past semester I moved out of my childhood home into the college dorms. I had to reteach myself how to learn in a school environment. There have been many moments of stress. I had days where I called my dad in tears because I didn't know how I was going to get an assignment done in time.

I am still teaching myself how to learn. My brain works different than it used to. I still have moments of stress and anxiety, but I deal with them as they come.

Now, when I get worried, when I'm afraid of failing, or scared that I won't be good enough I look at the past. I look at a year ago when I could have never imagined living on my own. I look at two years ago when the thought of college was unfathomable. I look back at what I have come from and I feel so incredibly blessed to be stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment