Thursday, December 22, 2016

Finding my Voice

The highlight of my high school years was the opportunity I had to compete on my schools Speech and Debate team. While I loved the exhilarating rush of debating, speech was my favorite. I liked that I could customize the topic to what messages I wanted to share at that point in my life.

As I started having more trouble with mental illness in my life I chose to speak on topics relating to that. At one point during my Junior year, after returning from a hospital stay at the UCLA medical center, I wrote and competed with a speech entitled "Ten Things I Learned in a Mental Hospital."

I love speaking and I have known for some time now that I wanted to use my voice to speak out about mental health. My struggle though is finding opportunities to do this. After I graduated high school and no longer had my team as a speaking outlet I was looking for something to get me started in the direction I wanted to go. Cue blogging.

I started this blog to write and share my ideas and hopefully be the first step in sharing my story and education others about mental illness. When I first started writing on this blog one thing I knew is that I didn't want this to become a stressful event. When working on a writing piece I can spend months writing, rewriting, revising, and editing and still not be happy with it. That is not what this is about.

Writing, for the most part is theraputic for me. Whether or not anyone reads this, it is helping me. Because of this I normally only read over what I have written one time. I don't spend hours revising and editing it. I do not stress about whether or not it is perfect. I can tell you right now, it never will be. It isn't supposed to be. I am not perfect. My life is not perfect. My writing mimics that. For now I am just finding my voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment