Monday, December 26, 2016

One week to live

I was driving this morning with my family on the way to the coast to see my older siblings. We are fans of country music and The Bobby Bones show was on. This is the one and only talk show I have ever liked
One of the hosts, Amy, was sharing a story which I especially enjoyed.
I didn't catch all of the segment so I'm not sure where she heard this, but the main concept was asking what you would do if you only had one week to live.

They were talking about how everyone is so busy with the little things that they often do not realize life is passing them right by.
So the question was: If you knew you only had one week to live, where would you go, what would you do, and who would you be with?

I thought this was a great thing to think about with the new year only an arms distance away. When I first heard this it was a hard question. I didn't know what I would do. How do you plan something like that?

Well, I thought about it and thought about it and I think I know what I would do.

If I only had one week to live, where would I go? What would I do? Who would I be with?

I would want to see as much family as possible. In particular I would want to spend a lot of time with my papa. I think he would take my passing really hard. I would want to go to the pet rescue I volunteer at one last time and clean up there. As for where I would go, I'd want to spend my last few days in Montana up at the Wren Ranch. I have more family up there aind it's a great place for people to gather. I would want to write out letters to all of the many people who have helped me in my treatment over the years. Then I would want to write out and publish my entire story. I wouldn't leave anything out. Then I would sit in the living room and play games with my family.

My last few days would not include Netflix or TV. They would not include social media or Pinterest. My last week would have no arguing. I would try my best to speak kind words and be gracious to those I come in contact with.
I would focus on the things and act as the kind of person who was preparing to meet my Savior.

The point of this question was that I will never know when my last week is going to be. Hardly any of us will. It could be this week, it could be in 80 years. Personally, I hope it's closer to 80 years, but that's not exactly up to me.
I'm not saying that tv and social media and all the things so many of us get caught up in every day is bad. I for one am not about to stop watching Netflix, but there have been times where I've lost sight of those things which I should be focusing my attention on.
I don't think my Savior is going to care how many episodes of Gilmore Girls I was able to binge watch. He will, however, care if I spoke sharply to my mother.

There are many good things in this world. I try to remember what a church leader told me one time (I don't remember who). It goes along these lines. You can choose the good thing to do, yes, but there may be a better thing you can do. The better thing might also not be the best thing.

When I was in high school my Forensics teacher had a quote on his wall that said "Good, better, best, never ever rest 'till your good is better and your better is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment