Monday, December 26, 2016

The Stigma of Mental Illness

I have a mental illness. I have multiple mental illnesses.
You probably know multiple people with mental illnesses.
There is a 20% chance that you have a mental illness, yourself.

So why is there still such a stigma revolving around mental illness? Why are those of us who struggle with mental illness shamed and blamed for something we can't control.

A huge problem is how mental illness is portrayed in the media. A couple days ago I was watching ASL videos on Youtube and a commercial came on for a movie that will be coming out in January. This movie is called Split. Split is about a man who has 24 duel personalities and he kidnaps three young women. They portray this man as having Multiple Personality Disorder. This diagnosis was actually changed to fall under Dissociative Identity Disorder. The movie portrays the main character as very volatile and dangerous due to his mental illness.

I became so mad when I saw this commercial. My mom had just left for work and I got on my phone and angry texted her all about it. It is movies like these that give mental illness a bad name.

MYTH: All people with mental illness are dangerous.
FACT: All people have the potential to be dangerous. Those affected by mental illness are actually more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators.

MYTH: People with mental illnesses are just lazy and need to work harder.
FACT: Mental illness is as much a physical disease as a mental one. Often times it has to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain.

I am on a mission to do what I can to reduce stigma on mental illness, educate those who don't know what living with mental illness is like, and prove that those of us with mental illnesses can do anything we want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment