Friday, January 20, 2017

You Will Never Be Who You Once Were

I have never been one to sugar coat things very much. I'm not a bakery. With that preface one thing you need to understand is that you will never be the person you were before your illness, attack, or whatever life changing event happened in your life. With that out of the way the more important thing to understand is that this is not a bad thing. 

For the longest time I kept thinking that I would get a hold on all of my struggles and be able to go back to my old self. It was one of my therapists in Residential who made me see the importance of grieving my old self to prepare for who I would become. It took me some time to do this, but eventually I realized that I don't want to be the girl I was. 

This doesn't mean I don't still miss her sometimes. I go through periods where I long to be the young, innocent girl who felt so safe, but who I am now is so much stronger. I have faith in a merciful God who has walked me through my trials. I know I can survive whatever he sends my way. I have grown and learned too much to ever go back. 

It is impossible to go through trials and come out the same person who walked in. They are tests; they are lessons. Whatever you may have to face will change you forever, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing. Let it change you for the better. Let it make you stronger. 

It's not always easy, but I promise you it is possible. We do not have the privilege of choosing all our trials, but more important than what we go through is how we choose to deal with it. Take your trials and let them make you strong. I'll be right here cheering you on. 

2 comments:

  1. nice. i was browsing through reddit and saw this. my friend keeps telling me that my i can learn from my issues and use them to grow, but for some reason i have trouble remembering this when i'm by myself. this is all true though and i'm always working on it. have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will get there, Tony, and you'll be so much stronger for it. Keep fighting. I just published another post entitled "Fight for the next good day" that I think you would like.

    ReplyDelete